Bone grafting may be an unusual term for you if you haven’t heard it before. But it’s a normal part of the dental implant process for some patients.
If you find out you need a jawbone graft as one of your dental implant steps, it’s not because anything is wrong. It’s simply a way to get your jaw more ready for your implants and ensure they last for a lifetime, protecting your investment and your smile.
If you need new teeth, let’s talk at Advanced Dentistry by Design in San Jose. We offer FREE implant consultations so you can find out if the tooth implant process is right for you. Call our office today!
What Is a Bone Graft?
Through bone graft surgery, your family dentist will help your jawbone thicken and strengthen. It helps fortify your bone to give a sturdier foundation and more room to hold an implant.
By thickening your jawbone, we’ll make sure your tooth implant will stay in place, held there by your natural bone material.
When we take your dental x-rays to see if dental implants are right for you, we might see that the jawbone is a little too thin to hold an implant. If this is the case, we’ll recommend a bone graft, which includes the following:
- A short dental surgery to place new material in the bone.
- This stimulates the bone to grow more natural material.
- As your jaw thickens, it will get ready for the implant.
We provide any necessary bone grafts right here in our local dentist office in San Jose. You don’t need to visit another dental specialist for any part of your implant procedure. Call our team to learn more or schedule a free consultation.
Benefits of Dental Bone Grafting for Implant Dentistry
Surprisingly, bone grafts have been used for hundreds of years. Today, we use them to stabilize dental implants, bringing you all the dental health benefits that implants bring, including:
- Food Variety: You’ll be able to eat sticky, crunchy foods without worry.
- Confidence: Your teeth will look natural, giving you confidence.
- Overall Smile Health: Nearby teeth tend to move toward an empty socket. An implant stabilizes your smile.
- Value: Your implant could be used in the future for a single-tooth crown, dental bridge, or implant-supported dentures.
How Does a Dental Bone Grafting Procedure Work?
During a bone graft appointment, your dentist will:
- Prepare and clean the site.
- Give you needed anesthesia and other sedation dentistry as needed.
- Add material to the jawbone that will stimulate it to grow.
This procedure can take as little as one hour or up to two hours.
After Treatment Care and What to Expect
After a bone grafting surgery, your bone will usually take several months to create new bone cells. Here’s what you can do in the meantime:
- A little bruising and swelling are natural after any dental surgery, managed with ice packs and warm compresses.
- You’ll need to avoid intense exercise for a time.
- Over-the-counter painkillers help control the discomfort expected after any oral surgery.
- Your dentist will give you guidance on how to keep your mouth clean, including gentle rinsing. It’s vital to maintain great oral hygiene.
It can take a few months for your bone graft to help your jaw create new bone cells. We’ll schedule any necessary follow-up appointments to help you through the process.
A Bone Graft Teeth Can Depend On
A great bone graft depends on high-quality materials to stimulate the jawbone. These may include:
- Natural substances, such as calcium carbonate.
- Imitation bone, including bioglass, ceramics, and other materials.
- Bone from an animal or a human donation.
- Bone from your own body.
We are constantly studying and improving our practices and technology for our family dental care. You can expect excellent materials in your bone graft.
How Much Does a Bone Graft Cost?
The final cost of a bone graft depends on:
- The amount that your insurance covers.
- The size of the graft needed.
- The material we choose.
- And several other factors.
The price can vary widely. Ask any questions you have about this during your free consultation, and we’ll help you get the information you need for an informed decision.
Schedule Your FREE Consultation and Find Out More About Dental Bone Grafting
Remember, a dental implant is an amazing long-term investment. You’ll be able to use each implant for the rest of your life with various dental appliances.
A bone graft is sometimes a needed step for preparing your bone for a strong implant placement. We want to maintain a 95% success rate or better!
You can get a FREE consultation to find out if dental implants are a great option for you. Just call Advanced Dentistry by Design at 408-258-5054.